York Cares is an independent employee-volunteering charity, which brings businesses, employees and communities together to make York a better place.
Inspiring Minds (formerly known as York Children’s University) aims to inspire disadvantaged children, aged 7 – 11, by linking real life and learning.
Inspiring Minds focuses on York’s most deprived communities and works closely with it’s school members, many of whom have higher numbers of children on free school meals.
“We want to inspire children and raise their aspirations for the future. Activities provided by local employers have been shown to boost confidence, develop creativity and foster a love of learning by bringing the world of work to life. Through this programme, you can give children an insight into your business, offering unique ‘real-life’ learning activities and acting as a valuable role model to increase their aspirations. Our programme of activities provides simple ways for employers to get involved and inspire children’s dreams for the future!”
Modules: develop a series of exciting and innovative sessions themed around your business area.
Workshops: deliver an interactive session to give children an insight into your industry.
Right to Read: support children with their reading to boost literacy levels.
Graduation: recognise children’s achievements at a special ceremony at the University of York.
This years programme includes:
Food and Culture with University of York Chefs (Year 6)
- Charlotte Wainwright (email@example.com) will be managing the student volunteers who are designing and delivering this project with the chefs. They have had a meeting with Emma to discuss their ideas and are currently shaping up their lessons plans which will be sent through in the New Year.
- UPDATE: Class 6EM welcomed their parents into school at the end of this project for a parent ‘cafe’. New skills were learnt and the food was appreciated by all.
Delivery dates are:
- Session 1: Wednesday 24th January, 1.15-3.15pm
- Session 2: Wednesday 31st January, 1.15-3.15pm
- Session 3: Wednesday 7th February, 1.15-3.45pm (including parent cafe)
- Assembly: Date and content to be discussed in the New Year (we will be in touch about this)
- Graduation: Tuesday 3rd July (further information to be sent in later months)
Pinata Experience (Year 4) – Thursday 18th January, 10.30am
Red Cabbage Indicators (Year 5) – Wednesday 18th April, 1.15pm
Space Day (Year 5) – Thursday 15th March at the University of York (full day) – further information to be sent in the New Year